Sock Buddies?

Sock Buddies?

Postby shadowsbane » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:06 pm

Can someone give me detailed directions on how to make a sock body for Sydney and Aruba? Sydney will be getting a leather collar soon, but Aruba just thins her chest a bit from season to season.

Detailed = the kind you would use for a 2 year old. I am NOT crafty at all and if it is not detailed enough I will screw it up.

Pictures from every conceivable angle would also be awesome. I feel so stupid when trying stuff like this. :(
shadowsbane

Re: Sock Buddies?

Postby MaryNat » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:54 pm

Hi!

Have you seen Ulrich's t-shirt? It requires sewing, but might be an idea to think about. The way the wing slits are cut may give you an idea for how to cut the wing slits if you use a sock buddy idea.
http://www.geocities.com/ulricheclectus/plucking

I believe the sock buddy is primarily a freshly laundered plain cotton sock of the appropriate size for your parrot, that has had the toe cut off and slits cut in the sides for the wings...of course the length of the slits would depend on the size of the bird.

Here is a link to the Sock Buddy website, where there are some photos of a sock buddy on some cockatoos.
http://www.thesockbuddy.com/

We hope this information is of help to you.

Al and Mary
Cabby and Chardy (SIE)
MaryNat

Postby Kat » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:24 pm

The sock buddy is really easy to make. It depends on the size of your bird, but I use womens small socks for our male vos, Greenbean. I use the socks that have the wider band at the ankle because he picks at his neck and needs a turtle-neck sweater, but you can use shorter ones if you don't need to cover her neck.
Lay the sock flat on it's side and then cut off the toe of the sock. I cut it at an angle with the part that will be on his belly shorter to make sure his vent is not covered by the sock at all. I cut just below the seam on toe of the sock (so the seam is being cut off, I think it would be itchy if it were left on). Then cut a slightly arched slit up the side of the sock for the wings (and feet if you are putting the feet through) to go through. This I do almost half way between the top of the sock and the bottom, but just slightly more toward the top to make that part slightly thinner (bottom being the part that would go on the bottom of your foot, I end up putting the heel of the sock over GB's crop, but some may wear it other ways). If you have sharp scissors, you can stick them right through the sock and cut both sides at the same time. It depends on the length of the sock you use, but I start the slit about an inch up from the end the toe was cut off and stop it right at the edge of the elastic that forms the wide ankle band. Some use shorter socks and then you can have it just go over her head and wings, but not put her feet through, then you would not have as long of a slit. Depends on how much coverage you want.
Putting it on, the main thing is to stay calm and happy about it!
I bunch it up on one hand and pick him up and slip it over his head. Then I put him down and hold the ends as he basically walks right into it. At this point it is over his wings, but his wings are not through it. He kind of waddles away like that and then I pick him up and kind of cradle him like I am rescuing him and talk sweetly to him while I gently pull on the bottom, one side at a time, and help his wings through. You can leave it like this if it is a shorter sock, otherwise you can also put his feet through the same slits his wings went through. I put my finger through the slit, have him step on it, and then put my finger and his foot back out of the slit.
Hope that made sense! You can get much better directions and pictures from the sock buddy website!
Here's some pics of GB in his sock buddy :)

Kat

Postby BirdMama » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:57 am

Greenbean is absolutely adorable in that sock buddie!
BirdMama

Postby Kat » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:16 am

When Cupcake had her barbering episode last week (which thankfully seems to have ended), the vet recommended putting a collar on her (which we did for all of 5 minutes and felt terrible so took it off), of course when I told people about the collar for her everyone asked "why don't you put that on Greenbean so he can't pull out his feathers?". Of course my first answer is that is seems mean, but then why would we have tried it on Cupcake (even for 5 min)? I think since I have always known Cuppy with feathers, it would be sad to see her lose them, but since I have always known Greenbean naked, I don't think I would even recognize him with feathers... He wouldn't look like himself anymore. This is probably really terrible to admit- but I don't think I really want him to grow feathers... Gosh, that is awful isn't it?
Of course I want him to be healthy, and if his feathers grew as a result of that I would be so happy for him (and I am really happy that he grew flight feathers and can fly now!), but I would miss him in his cute little sweater... I just can't even picture what he would look like with feathers...
When I first got him, he started growing a bunch of feathers, including the flight feathers, and we were really hoping he would grow the rest- but after knowing him and loving him partially naked and in his little sweaters for this last year and 4 months, I think he is perfect just the way he is :)
Kat

Postby BirdMama » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:28 pm

Kat, I'm wondering what's the main reason for the sock buddies? Is it to prevent him from plucking, keep him warm, cushioning when he falls, or all of above? How often do you change it? I wonder if you can use it to keep a fully-feathered bird warm in the winter?
BirdMama

Postby Kat » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:50 pm

We started using the sock buddy because he was not just plucking his feathers, but actually starting to chew little holes in his skin :( I came home one day to a blood smeared cage, and that was it- on went the sock! Even when he is not wearing it now, he does not do that, but he does shiver alot without it so I do think it helps keep him warm also.
Alot of people use it to stop plucking, and I think it does help with plucking to some degree because they can chew on the sock instead of themselves- it's like a toy they are wearing all the time :lol: . I think the idea is that it is supposed to stop plucking by blocking their access to the feathers, but my experience has been that he can get right underneath it and pull the feathers no problem (he can even pull a feather up through the fabric of the sock, now that takes dedication!). Maybe if it was tighter he wouldn't be able to, or if the slit for his wings and feet were 2 separate holes so the side wasn't all the way open, then maybe it would prevent the plucking as well.

To change it, I cut off the old one and then put on a new one, probably every 1-2 weeks, depends on how wet he gets in his shower every day. Most of the time he just gets a little damp from the moisture in the shower, but once every week or two he decides to take a real good shower (I can tell that he wants one if he starts spreading his wings and dancing in the shower, then I move him where he can get right in the water)- once it gets soaked, I change it (I usually hop out of the shower and remove the old one as soon as I see he wants a good shower, that way his skin under the sock can get all clean too!).

I don't think a fully feathered bird would need it at all, I think if they were outside in the winter and it was cold enough to be a concern, the sock would not provide enough warmth to be of much use... But I don't really know. Greenbean is really calm about getting his on and off, but I have read of plenty of birds that get really stressed and upset by it, so probably not worth doing unless there is a real need for it. I don't think little birdie outfits are going to take-off anytime soon, although they are quite cute ;)
Kat

Return to Ask Polly Please