Will Not Eat Fruit

Will Not Eat Fruit

Postby benny2838 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:17 pm

I should have included in my prior posting.

My 7 month old male will not eat fruit. He occassionally chewed on it a bit when I first brought him home a few months ago, but since, will not even consider it. Thankfully he still eats lots of fresh veggies, but fruit...forget it. He won't even consider Pomegranate seeds, which he only ate the first/second time fed...then, forget it!

How do I encourage him to eat fruit...anyone??

Frustrated in San Diego, Tom
benny2838

Fruit eating

Postby MaryNat » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:40 pm

Hi!

If your little guy is eating lots of vegetables, greens, etc, that is good and he is probably getting everything he needs in his diet with the variety of vegetables. Shhhh.....don't tell him but if he likes peppers, he is eating....berries! :)

To help broaden his diet to include fruits, you may wish to eat pieces or slices of fruit in front of him..widen your eyes, chomp the fruit, chew it with your mouth open so he can see...make yummy sounds....and act like this piece of fruit is just the most wonderful, marvellous food item in the entire universe! He may become curious about what you are eating and show interest in tasting the fruit (such as by leaning toward you, and/or intently watching you eat the fruit). If he does, offer him a piece (not one you have bitten from - a fresh piece) and let him taste it.

You may want to start out with slices from a couple of different kinds of apples. Eclectus tend to have preferences in apple varieties, and if you have slices from a couple of different kinds, you may find he prefers one type over another...such as Granny Smith, Red Delicious, HoneyCrisp...our pair really like HoneyCrisp apples but are not very interested in any other kind. Others like the tart green ones (like the Granny Smith), etc.

You may also find that your Eclectus likes fruits that are just a little bit under ripe to human taste....try kiwi fruit that you personally would wait a day or two to eat. If your Eclectus will not eat ripe papaya, try green papaya.

Figs are a fruit Eclectus like ripe, with lots of nice seeds inside. If you offer figs with undeveloped seeds inside, your bird may not want it.

You can also "hide" fruit in his cooked mix or bird bread by adding diced apples, pears, chopped cranberries, whole or chopped blueberries, applesauce, etc.

But if he is eating his vegetables well - peppers, carrots, greens, etc - then I would not worry..just be patient and tempt your Eclectus with fruit from time to time and let him become curious and interested on his own.

We hope this information is of help to you.

Al and Mary
Cabby and Chardy (SIE)
MaryNat

Postby txbird » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:59 pm

My guy lost interest in pomegranate too, guess he got bored with it. So now I put it in birdie cornbread with other goodies. It gets consumed that way. No mess that way too!

Have you tried kiwi? Of the few fruits my Sam will eat 100% guaranteed, that's his favorite. (My amazons will not touch kiwi.) Fortunately for Sam it's very good nutrition-wise. I give him a slice every day with the outer peel removed (where bacteria and trace pesticides may be, so I toss that part). He will also eat apple and mango usually. If I give him a half of a globe grape he will take out a scoop in the middle with the seeds and toss the rest.

I think sometimes they have too much food in front of them to choose from so they just pick and fill up on what they like best and don't get hungry enough to eat the other before its time to take it away, so you might try reducing the serving size of his favorite foods to try and encourage him to try other things. Too much of certain fruits especially though could be a lot of sugar and not much nutritional value, so it needs to be just a part of the overall mix of foods you offer him. Good Luck!
"Sammy the Bird" RSE.. and the two 'zons
txbird

Will Not Eat Fruit

Postby benny2838 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:47 pm

Once again, thanks for all the great advice...I love this website!

I will try to "encourage" Franco by eating fruit with him. It is amazing how focused he can be when I am doing anything...he practically looks through me! Also, I have not made him birdie bread yet (will finally do it this weekend), and will try to "hide" his fruit using that technique.

As far as the kiwi suggestion...just like everything else with this little guy...he liked it at first, then would not touch it. Did the same thing with Mango. Anyway, I will not worry myself to death over it, and just keep trying...(I was never much of a Mango person, but guess it will not kill me to eat a few pieces in front of Franco!).

Thanks, Tom
benny2838

Postby Kat » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:05 pm

Cupcake didn't like fruit at first either, I just kept offering it to her and waited until she felt like trying it. Now she will eat gooseberries, pomegranate seeds, and cranberries (and sometimes seeded grapes, but they are hit or miss with her). She seems to only like tart fruits, and only things that have seeds inside. She gets most of her fruits snuck into her mikes manna mash for dinner.
Kat

Will Not Eat Fruit

Postby benny2838 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:26 pm

Gooseberries? Where do you get those? Funny you mentioned Mike Mash - I made a batch of that too - what a waste of money that was - Franco would pick through it, and basically leave everything untouched, or I should say, uneaten.
benny2838

Postby Kat » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:43 pm

I just found the goosegerries at the grocery store, they don't always have them, but once in awhile I can find them.
Cupcake turned her nose up at the first batch of mash I made, but the last time I chopped up everything alot smaller and dried everything so it was not mushy, and then she liked it :)
Kat

Postby Simon's Mom » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:52 pm

Tom,

It's been about 2 weeks or so... just checking in... how's the whole fruit thing going? Getting any better? Is he eating any more?

I know I found (recently) that i was giving Simon WAY too many choices and WAY too much food. So, for 2 years I was thinking Simon didn't like sweet potatos.... well low and behold, if he doesn't have a BUFFET to choose from he does like them. So it may be something as simple as limiting his choices down to just 1 or 2 items.

I also found some organic, finely milled, flax seed. I can sprinkle that on anything and he will eat it. Like corn. He loves corn but shucks it and the bowl was always filled with empty corn "casings". Well, sprinkle the flax seed on it and the bowl is empty. He loves that so much he even eats the corn casings. Weird but maybe that'll work for you. (I swear I could sprinkle that stuff on asphalt and the bird would eat it.... not that I would of course! :lol: )

I hope this helps a little.
Sherri aka Simon's Mom
Simon's Mom

Postby Vega2 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:23 pm

I've learned that if you're going to mix fruit into birdie bread...seriously cut back on the water/juice it tells you to use. (I use half of what it says to) Otherwise it takes really long to bake and comes out mushy. I've found mine take to the drier breads better than the mushy.
Vega2

Return to Food & Health