too long of beak on eclectus parrot

too long of beak on eclectus parrot

Postby myvwranch » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:34 pm

i know nothing about parrots and i now have one. i have horses, dogs, birds, so i do know enough about animals to know he has been mistreated. he only has one eye and feathers look messed up. he was in a hot barn with no air or anything around and lots of bird poop. now he is in a huge cage on my porch with fresh water and food and i am reading all i can about how to take care of him.they said he was mean and cussed, but he is extremely gentle , and sat on my daughters shoulder while she did homework last night for summer school college.. he has not spoken at all yet... anyway his beak is very long and needs to be trimmed or filed. how do i do this?? we have a dremmel, and someone told me to use that, but do we put the saw attachment on it, or the file attachment??? i can send a picture if that would help.

also i have quail, dove, 2 cockatiels, and 4 budgie parakeets in a large avery. can i put him in with them>???
thanks
myvwranch

Postby Viper » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:30 pm

Hello!

I would recommend taking him to an avian vet to get that beak trimmed. In addition, a long beak is one sign of liver disease, so you may want to talk to your vet about that. In fact, seeing as he was surrounded by poop, he should be checked out anyway.
Ralph
Dotty - The girlfriend
Forest - Vos
Spencer - TAG
Lindsay - Green Quaker
Shirley - Ring Neck Dove
Jim Jim - Cockatiel R.I.P. November 28, 2011
Viper

Postby Simon's Mom » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:25 pm

First, thank you for saving this lovely boy!
Secondly, I agree with Ralph. Take him to the vet just to be safe.
Thirdly, If it is just overgrown due to not grooming... after maybe watching the vet do it (since you do sound experienced with birds/animals in general) if your open to do the trimming in the future then a dremmel is fine but the grinding bit nothing else. You can use this for his nails too if needed.

Personally, I live close enough, so I just take my boy in and get his "manicures/Pedicures". But that me. I'm not comfortable doing it myself....

Please tell us more about him.
Sherri aka Simon's Mom
Simon's Mom

Postby José » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:33 pm

I would say to the long beak...depends on how overgrown it is, but use the file bit not the saw. Would like to see a picture of it.
I can nip the sharp bit of the beek from my ekkie-female off with a small pair of siccors ( Link to photo ) for small animals like pet-bunny's, pet-rats or small dogs and cats! It has a small saving where the tip of teh beek fits in perfectly.
Then file smooth if needed. My female ekkie usually smooths it herself on her concrete perch. It hasn't been necessary yet to take a little bit of the beek of my ekkie-male.

It sounds to me like your ekkie didn't have the opportunity to 'file' his beek himself with the previous owner! Did he have any perch where he could 'sand/file' his beek to keep it in shape??

You shouldn't put your ekkie in the avery with the smaller birds! They are smaller so they can't defend themselfs when your ekkie might attack!

He also sounds like a nice bird when he can sit with your daughter and just sits and watches what she does!!

And a good check-up with an avian-vet will also be in order after his hard live with the other owners!

Wish you luck with grooming your ekkie's beek and hope he will be declared healthy after a good check-up!
José

Postby myvwranch » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:37 pm

thanks for your comments..i wasn't going to do anything until he got used to me and our home anyway. his toenails are very long too, and curl . caroline swicegood is trying to help me find a vet that does birds in my area. we live way out in the country.
we have a garden and i gave him a cherry tomatoe and a bell pepper sliced and he is enjoying that. i also squirted him with a spray bottle and he spread his wings and danced up and down, and enjoyed it. he is not mean at all, he gets on my hand and sits on my shoulder. his wings are clipped. i think he will be a great addition to our family.
what about putting him in our outside avary with other birds??
thanks again
myvwranch

Postby José » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:02 pm

myvwranch wrote:what about putting him in our outside avary with other birds??

Was one small sentence but it was there :D

wittekip wrote:You shouldn't put your ekkie in the avery with the smaller birds! They are smaller so they can't defend themselfs when your ekkie might attack!

He also sounds like a happy bird enjoying his shower and veggies and all!!! :wink: Good for you he's feeling right at home so soon! Sounds like a great addition to the family!

Wish you luck on finding a good avian-vet in your area!!
José

Postby all4stvoyager » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:04 pm

Be careful with putting him on your shoulder when you haven't gotten to know him well. Some might even say that even after you know him well...you only have two eyes. Just keep in mind :)
Thanks,
Sara
~Louie and Sadie (2 cats)
~Mister (Happy 3 year adoption day Feb21!) and Chili 2/18/11
all4stvoyager

Postby FionaFaire » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:21 pm

I am so delighted that you are able to offer this little guy a loving and caring home! I think you will see some very positive changes in him in the coming months.

This site is the best tool for information, next to a good avian vet. I am here every day, searching and learning how to best take care of my little Master.

:D :D
FionaFaire

New Eclectus

Postby MaryNat » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:58 pm

hi!

Thank you for bringing this little green man into your family and providing a good home for him!

In addition to information from Carolyn, you may find the PDR (Polly's Desk Reference) forum post about internet resources for locating avian veterinarians to be helpful, at least in locating backup vets or vets a nearby vet may wish to consult with.

As our other board particpants have advised, an overgrown beak could be a sign of liver problems, or may be due to your boy not having had appropriate surfaces to groom his beak upon - or a combination.

Since his diet has not been good, it is possible that it was mostly seeds. Seeds are a very poor diet for Eclectus (but OK in small amounts as treats) as they are very low in important amino acids and other nutrients while being high in fats and carbohydrates. Potential liver problems could stem from that diet, and could be significantly helped by a proper diet.

A seed diet is also very low in important antioxidants such as carotenoids and anthocyanins. These are found in foods that are red/orange/yellow and deep green/leafy in the case of carotenoids, and that are blue, purple, and dark red in the case of anthocyanins. A few examples of carotenoid rich foods are carrots, peppers dandelion greens, broccoli and yams, and foods rich in anthocyanins are cranberries, blueberries, blackberries (lots of different kinds of berries)- and dark red or purple peppers.

In a nutshell, an Eclectus diet should focus on fresh (or steamed/cooked) greens, vegetables, fruits and sprouts, with a small amount of a high quality seed and nut mix. The diet should be high in carotenoid rich foods, high in the natural fiber a fresh diet affords, and low in fat (NOT non-fat).

Please do not try to trim his beak on your own. Please have an avian veterinarian, or a vet with experience with parrots, trim his beak the first time. Then, be sure to offer him perches that are rough in texture - not splintery - just roughened so that they remind you of bark on a tree branch - so he can continue to keep his beak trimmed and shaped by natural rubbing and grooming behaviors.

When his beak is in proper shape, he will find it easier to eat and to preen, which should have a positive impact on his condition, his looks - and how he feels generally.

As far as keeping him in an aviary with other parrots, I believe it would be best for him to have his own aviary and cage, but he can be near or in sight of the other birds. He may very much enjoy seeing and watching them, but because of his size, he could easily injure them if he should become startled, frustrated, or get into a squabble over food or perching places.

Does he have a ring? When the vet examines him, please ask the vet to record his ring numbers (the vet will probably do this anyway) and see if there is a year on the ring. Often, rings contain the year a parrot was hatched, and the initials of the breeder or his/her aviary facility. The year on the ring will help you to have an idea of his age.

Please ask lots of questions...

Al and Mary
Cabby and Chardy (SIE)
MaryNat

Return to Food & Health